Monday 10 October 2011

Questions....

These are the questions I have that I would like to research and find a conclusion to with an answer that are relevant to my Professional Practice.



  1. What does it take to become a Successful Professional Performer or Creative Artist?
  2. Does making goals and achievements put pressure on a performer?
  3. Would it become more successful if living in London?
  4. How do Performers transition into Teaching and Choreographing?
  5. Does having the ability and resources to be creative at a younger age help in later years or Does is experience the key?
  6. Is the education in dance ever going to change? Not just in schools but in "Non-creative" minds
  7. What do performers lack in? and What do I lack in?
  8. Can we enhance Dance/Drama in the education system to be a compulsory subject? 

3 comments:

  1. I thoiught the question that seems most relevant to you Sonal, and which can be answered is: Does Performer work transfer onto Teaching and Choreographing easily? I'd rephrase it to 'How do performers transition from performing to teaching (or to choreography)?

    I think also you would finds collaborators on BAPP who would be interested in this as a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonal- I think it will be useful to have just one SIG if you are interested in dance education and teaching. We will be able to deepen our questions and develop them further as we have very similar thoughts.

    Looking at Alan's thoughts- I Think this is a really interesting comment and something I have blogged about in the previous module.

    Should it be compulsory for dance teachers to undertake a teaching degree or course?

    How can performers make the transition and understand that teaching goes way beyond just demonstrating an exercise or teaching a routine. We have to put into words Tatic knowledge, we have to understand anatomy and the way different bodies move and develop, to teach in a safe environment.

    I know teachers who have danced once a week for a few years and now have a school or teach within a school, knowing little about 'dance' and more about naughty and nice toes!

    Maybe if we put a Dance teaching qualification in place people will start to see that there is skill in being a dance teacher and it is not just rolling around on the floor like a fairy.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I feel this way especially because I can say first hand the transition is not easy by any means!

    ReplyDelete