Tuesday 18 October 2011

In Depth...

Analyzing all the blogs and taking in what all the students are thinking is interesting. Nicole and I have discovered that we've got a huge discussion in our hands... I am blogging my comment on her post so other can read our discussions.


I'm finding the subject on a dance qualification really interesting. Reflecting on the comments you made on my blog, I do think its important. You said that you know alot of dance teachers that have little knowledge on dance and more naughty and nice toes, this is very valuable but I also believe they should be vocationally trained or have a degree in the subject. This connects with having a "Accounting or High School Teacher' It is very difficult to get into these professions without some sort of qualification so why shouldn't we make Dance Teaching or Drama Teaching harder to become a profession. I am going to blog what I have wrote here and I will add some more let me know what you think!!


Studying to a further extent this seems to me a great topic as something that I have a strong opinion on as it is my profession I believe that it should be taken seriously. One of the newest phases or shall I say Crazies that has come to our world is the Zumba Fitness programme, I am a qualfied Zumba instructor and teach my own classes throughout Manchester. However,I was slighted disheatred by the concept when I attended the course I realized that it was extremly popular and busy, it only grabbed my attention when we all starting moving that most of the students were "non Dancers or fitness instructors." 
It felt like a money making concept and the standard of teaching this Fitness programme was not important at all.


This leads onto the fact that all teaching for the industry should be qualified to a high standard and should be recognized correctly. Many of the teachers I know do not have a Dance background and have no idea counting or choreography, which is disappointing for us dancers who have been passionate about our work for it to feel made a joke out of.
From experiencing these different accouters I believe that we should all be qualified teachers just like any other profession to give a better understanding to the non-creative people who just 'Don't really get it'.




Let me know what you think about this??? I'd like some feedback? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sonal- Paula has posted a link to a great article- it highlights the issues with dance teacher training in schools, really interesting. It might help you to form a question.I think this is a really interesting subject. I do feel that I am going around in circles and each time I have more questions, really struggling to condense all my questions into one or just make a decision on one. How are you getting on?

    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DCSF-00908-2007

    (click on the PDF)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see your thinking on this topic develop - it's clearly a subject of much debate and therefore probably a great inquiry area. I've also been having a look at the issues you guys have raised on facebook and there is a really interesting discussion getting started.

    Has anyone got any feedback from parents to report? It'd be interesting to get an idea of how important qualifications are to them. Perhaps this is something for later in the module when we are doing the pilot interviews and surveys etc.

    ReplyDelete