Tuesday 1 March 2011

Reflecting on My Reflective Journal....

Questioning my practice is defiantly what I have been thinking about recently. I am reading through all the theories and the attention of Tufnell, Tharp and Moon's words explaining that not all reflective processes have to use text for critical reflection. They say that many professional people have been using poems, drawings and stretches.

During my reflection I have read Sophie's blog on photographic reflection. I realised that I have used this already, this is a theory I have used for many years and the norm for me it completely didn't cross my mind. Flow charts and graphs used in Maths is what has summed up my own professional practice, starting with where I start, What I could change and the outcome. Like I said I have never had to record my own practice before so it was difficult to start of with but as I am processing more of my thoughts and actions its becoming easier for me to critic.

This is my quality of learning and I am developing a questioning attitude from reading through all the theories. Kottcamp's feeling on Dancers being Kinetic learners has made me think- Is this how I learn? I am a dancer and we are all doing and visual learners.
Reflecting on my journal, I have noted explaining what my body is doing whilst teaching is a challenge for me. Being a visual learner from day one as a dancer and now my practice being teaching more, writing my thoughts and feelings about explaining to non-dancers is I defiant learning process for me.

Alot of the time I say "I don't know how to explain, its just like this"-
Critical thought- Looking back on this for me is very unprofessional. A dance teacher should always be able to explain how a movement should be obtained.

Therefore, I have been asking myself- How can I develop my knowledge on speaking the movements? Where could this take me with my future? How good could this make my professional practice?
Let me know what you think....

3 comments:

  1. Sonal - I think you have defined the need for critical thinking here very well - knowing how to explain.

    A good book on critical thinking is the Study Skills Handbook by Stella Cottrell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonal, I also struggle explaining and expressing myself, I find it far easier to demonstrate. I talk with my hands and expressions as I find it hard translating some of my experiences and thoughts into words.
    I have started recording video diaries as a way of capturing this and hopefully learning from in.
    you should try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, this seems like a good idea. I know Im getting better but its still out of my comfort zone. Maybe this video diary would be handy, but its just filming myself...lol! Are you learning from this? Is it helping you?

    ReplyDelete