Friday 25 February 2011

Part 2...The Reflective Practictioner

As I am currently writing my reflective journal I wanted to share what I am learning so far. Understanding how you work as a person is extremely important as personally I always strive to improve and grow. Writing this journal is really helping me notice my actions and thoughts during a normal day. Especially when teaching classes I make sure that all my thoughts and actions are noted in the journal so I can improve.
So far, I have defiantly noticed an error in my practice about how my thoughts are on the next job and what is happening in the future. Recently I have tried to slow down and concentrate on the job in hand. My professional practice is my future, so always needs improving and I am trying hard to reflect on my actions.

Reflecting on my actions is slightly difficult for me, I feel being a dancer we never write anything down all our work is in our brain. Our practice is based on muscle memory and repeating the same thing is normal. Trying to change and adjust is a challenge therefore, as I am an action girl and very hands on taking a step back and thinking about my actions is a test. Reflecting is helping me and making me understand my work.

Researching and reflecting on Kolb's cycle made me decide to try different experiments instead of staying in my comfort zone. Taking some notes and using 'Concrete Experiment' and 'Active Experimentation' to start is helping me figure out achieving the best and most efficient results.

Anyway.. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found the blog about The Campus Session useful - I feel it's really important for those of use who can attend to share what we learn at these sessions. I will be really interested to hear how you get on with your journal...It must be very hard for a dancer because as you say, dancers are more used to having the steps in their head and using muscle memory. Keep us posted with developments and whether you have found it useful to write things down at the end of your day.

    ReplyDelete