Tuesday 15 March 2011

Sunny Spring Reflections...And Starting New

So far whilst teaching and dancing I am progressing on my reflections, and I believe I am learning positively. Regularly going back to Kolb's cycle trying to use this and start at different stages. This is defiant trial and error progress.

Most of the other students are using video diaries and images such as collages. this is my next step to try and work on a collage using magazines, fashion and newspapers. As I work as a professional dancer in London also, I am constantly observing the commercial industry such as classes and other teachers. It  is very colourful and loud business. Dancers can be all shapes, looks and personalities. This all reflects on their own personal style and clothing.
Using my observations and notes this will on enhance my professional practice as I am looking more in depth with the whole idea of learning. This collage that Sophie has started seems like a creative and effective way of advancing ideas and choreography.
The Fashion industry using Images and "Mashed up like photos" to put together model portfolios and magazine articles. Interpreting this could be really fun and exciting, endless ideas come to mind with this idea-such as papers, colours, shades boxes, black and whites, cutting images into shapes etc.
I am curious to see where this takes me? Will this help my self confidence in dance and teaching? and Will other people understand it?

Reflecting on Howard Gardner's VAK theory, this is what I have basically been going through. Everything I do is my comfort zone so altering my norm and using different ways is hard but could always be efficient. Whilst teaching one night the students were not getting certain movements and I couldn't improve them. I became self conscience about my professional practice that- Maybe I am not showing them right? How can they not see what I am doing and copy? Am I wrong? Is the move to hard?
Being a Dancer I admit I do forget that others don't always learn like this. Many of the students are not dancers so they ask questions and listen to my metaphors when explaining the moves. eg. Simple arm movements-lifting your arms and bending your knees the same time- I said- try thinking your pulling a rope but its stuck your shoes. The students are listening to what I'm saying and not visually learning. This is getting better with more experience but if anyone is new to teaching try this.. It helps...And then let me know how you get on!

All this is underway- Let me know what you think... Im just trying loads of things to get the best results....

2 comments:

  1. Really nice to hear how you are getting on Sonal. I think Sophie's scrapbooking is a great idea and especially for creating stimulus for new dance pieces...perhaps it will also heighten your awareness as you go through your daily life, as you will be on the look our constantly for colours, pictures, quotes etc. I like the idea that a reflective tools help to heighten our senses and level of observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s interesting to hear you had doubts in your teaching methods. Through reflection I have learnt that I always enter situations with predominately negative thoughts. Stephanie and I have been discussing weather this has something to do with our profession and preparing ourselves for failure as a defence mechanism. Is this something you are finding through reflection?

    ReplyDelete