Monday 21 February 2011

'Do Web based technologies enhance professional practice?

Regarding Paula Nottingham's notes from Session 1, I added my own thoughts,

From my professional experience, Web based technologies for professional dancers/singers/actors/teachers such as social sites Facebook, Myspace and Twitter and also profile sites DancersPro and Spotlight are a beneficial way for enhancing professional practice.These sites are mainly used by artists and agents. The sites are use to browse and find the best people for the job, by browsing uploaded CV's and Showreels. The sites are very accessible to new artists coming into the industry.

Using Facebook as one of my main sources for jobs and updates on classes, this was firstly my personal site but now has turned into a work based site. Daily I receive jobs from a group call "Professional Commercial Dancers" and from other agents such as "Mark Summers," "Headnod" and a choreographer that I know "Mark Battershall. The groups have casting breakdowns, teaching jobs and many more. If new to the industry, this is the best way to build your CV without an agent/agencies. Most agencies are on Social Sites, however once you have an agent they will send you jobs directly with a head start before it broadcasts on Facebook.

There are also profile sites that us professionals use, Spotlight and DancersPro are sites that list your Credits, CV, Photos and Showreels for employers and clients to browse. Again this is another site that is Web based, which enhances our chances of getting work. 

Social sites are not the only way of enhancing your professional practice, YouTube is a site allowing you to upload videos and showreels. Along with being a Dancer, I teach regularly and I find exploring choreographers a helpful inspiration for getting ideas. Using only the basics and expanding my own style on top. I find this a positive way to enhance my professional practice by watching others.

Here is a video example of what I watch on YouTube. Two famous American choreographers, Lindsey and Craig Duet and Teresa Spinosa.







See what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment