Thursday 1 December 2011

Pilot Focus Group

Why have I used a Focus Group?

The primary factor of carrying out a Focus group was to achieve as many different varied views as possible. The possible outcome of having a focus group was to discuss and generate the issues in my inquiry with students that may be thinking of starting a dance career. Being aware of the influenced by "louder" students in the class as not turn into a debate.
This is method all is an easy way to collect data and enable the students to feed off each other in a short period of time. As the students have a variety of backgrounds and knowledge and I anticipated the efficiency of their feedback would impact the inquiry hugely.

Preparing


  • Firstly receiving consent forms of the parent and carers was the most professional and ethical proceeder that had to be taken. Ensuring that only the students that held a consent form with a valid signature on could part take.
  • Take into account the timing of the interview. I anticipated 30/40 minutes for this interview. Noting that the participants are students, it was unethical and unprofessional to keep them for a lengthy amount of time. 
  • Deciding that after a class would be the best environment for the students to really express their views and answer questions constructively. As this is a "common ground" for both it made sense and is less inconvenient for parents and carers.
  • For method of interview I decided to semi structure the interview, as I anticipated from interviewing Natalie that the students would discuss further and engage with each other more.
  • To have evidence of the interview my idea was to record on my phone again, as to not waste time and to be have my full attention on the students.
  • Also taking into account the temperature of the room, as the students had just finished dancing I did not want there to be any injuries if they got too cold. Ensuring that the room was a warm temperature and their was water at hand.
Reflecting

Reflecting on the interview has given me the extra knowledge for my inquiry. Primarily my key thought was receiving varied opinions. However many of the students opinions, generated from backgrounds, gender and age. For the students to answer the questions the only foundation they know are what has been taught through personal backgrounds. Therefore, it allowed them to engage with each other and expand on their own views. Many issues were also brought up such as financial, time and supportive parents, where they were either low budgets, didn't have enough time to turn a hobby into a career or the mere fact of support at home mentally. This enable me to be critical about my question and the terminology used. As I am addressing the question to students consideration has to be taken into account, that not all students have the same views as the employers and fellow dancers. I think revising the shape of my questions needs to be taken into consideration, as the words benefit and easy do not apply the same to everyone.

The effectiveness of this tool was interesting and brought questions to my attention, especially about my inquiry. It produced valuable data and was enjoyable. The students were able to engage with one another and discuss their views, which was interesting for me to listen to and join in with. As I was aware of the influential people in the group, I was relatively surprised that all the students had a strong opinion on this subject and were out spoken even if others disagreed. When they were engaging and answering the questions, I made sure for others to not interrupt and to put their hand up if they wanted to comment. This worked effectively as if not proceeded like so, it would of added to the noise and turned into a debate rather than discussion. This was also for the needs of evidence and recording.
Overall this tool was useful and impacted on my critical thoughts and inquiry well. I feel that this my be a method I may use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment