Tuesday 29 November 2011

Interview


My preparation in the previous blog explains that I decided to use two tools for my pilot surveys and this one was an interview with a dance colleague.  Conducting and planning my interview was eye opening for me and I have been self critical when reflecting on the interview.

The first critic is my question “Will having a qualification/degree in dance provide a performer with the knowledge to teach the students successfully”

The key being that all practitioners have different opinions on qualifications within the industry. How I approach the question when interviewing is determined on the use of my voice as not to narrow mind and influence the interviewee.

I decided to interview my fellow dancer Natalie, she is a working practitioner around the North West and a successful professional dancer. To save time and be as convenient as possible to fit in with her schedule, the most appropriate location was agreed to be the studio after class. The location agreed was home “Turf” for both of us and an indirectly way to still keep the interview professional. This gave the opportunity to be open with opinions and be flexible with her views. I did learn that planning the meeting straight after a class and on work territory, the outcome was beneficial as the work ethic is fresh and “on the mind.”

Critical reflection: As I noted that I interviewed a dancer and employer recently I have predicted that it would maybe be extremely beneficial to interview a non dancer or someone who is not connected to the industry. For my trail and error and own reflection the idea of interviewing a parent to find out their views on qualifications when they send their children to a dance class. Does is determined what school their childe attends? Whether they feel dancers with experience would have the appropriate facilities to teach their child correct movements and technique.

My intention about this interview was to ensure that the atmosphere didn’t incline towards a “catch up” environment. I planned to be professional and constructive by applying my school discipline and professionalism. Firstly I emailed and phoned to arrange the interview and then confirmed with a consent form to ensure the information collected was for university purposes only and my critical reflection towards my practice.

Researching through my ethics, I decided to record the interview to make sure my full attention was the data provided. Our agreed time was 45 minutes and I felt that noting her comments would of prolonged the interview, which keeping to my ethics and professionalism I did not want to over run.

I semi structured the interview by asking mainly open questions. Anticipating that open questions would give the possibility for Natalie to deepen her thoughts and opinions on my inquiry and give the flexibility to discuss the topic.

“What is your opinion on qualifications in dance teachers?”
“Do you have qualifications? If so have they help employment?”


Overall I have conducted an interview as my primary tool for my inquiry, using this tool has given me the opportunity to reflect on my behaviour towards fellow dance practitioners and present employers.

Reflecting on myself I think I was extremely professional and held the interview in a professional manner. However, I feel that there were limits in my interview such as the timing. I felt that 45 minutes with one person seems to be less constructive than the tool of a focus group and questionnaires; I have arranged to conduct this with my students. Obviously I will know the outcome when the focus group is confirmed and I have all the data collected. I detect that the questions should be directed to a wider audience to receive the best possible opinions and debates on my particular inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment