Thursday 22 December 2011

Addition to Focus Group- Survey

An addition to the focus group I held, I decided to use the same group and pilot a survey. Reading through Steph and Sophie's blog and actively doing what I had purpose in my first blog I decided to go ahead and experience to find a outcome.

In the focus group the outcome was extremely good, I received all sorts of opinions and views across the board from all the ages and genders. As I felt that there was no influencing in the group and everyone had their individual input, I thought it was necessary to also do a questionnaire to see if anyones views had differed. 
This method is quick and easy and a convenient way to collect data. 

As this method was slightly more anonymous, I did want to keep the data similar by asking the children to kindly write their name at the top of the questionaire. This was the mere fact of locating who was influenced and not. Steph has mentioned this is her blog that a focus gorup wasn't her favourite, as this is a negative outcome for research. However, I did ensure the students that only myself would be scanning the data and it would be extremly confidetial work.

Consenting the students and the parents for taking part in the survey was a primary need, this is something I feel everyone should do first as without the consent of participants we can not experiment. I located a time and place that was convenient for everyone and ensure that this would take 10/15 minutes to fill out. using the studio again and if the students wanted to be in private they could.
This method was structure as I wanted all the questions to be exactly the same so to get honest opinions. The questionaire had a 1-5 answer on it which you circle the one you think is appropriate. However, I did ensure a few lines under every question so students could elaborate. 
Again ensuring that the temperature of the room was suitable and the students did not seize up straight after attending and performing a class.

Reflecting

I feel that this was a postive method and the data collect had various answers included. Bringing to my attention that in the focus group all students were engaging and responding well to one another, however in the survey some answers differed. I feel that I did the correct way to approach this by using the same focus group to see what students really thought of the inquiry.
Critical thought- Reading through the data the students did ask me "Why are we doing this again?" as they thought it was a test. I wanted to ensure that I could get the vital data, and doubting that as the participants were students influence has a bigger impact.

The issue of time had no impact on the students inconvenience and was a quick and easy method for data collection. The only limitation I located from a survey was the students and I could not elaborate on the answers and discuss why that particular opinion, which I feel is necessary on the basis of this topic.



1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way as you, that in this type of research a survey may not provide the necessary level of detail that we require. I have thought I might start off with a survey, and then use qualitative methods such as interviews to go into more detail. It's wise that you have taken advantage of a time after class when you have your participants gathered together - much more convenient and less time consuming than trying to track them all down individually.

    ReplyDelete