Thursday 3 November 2011

5b

Reading through Sophie and Nicole's personal researched codes of practice, it has bought awareness to few aspects of legal codes I am unsure of. Therefore studying further codes of practice with a friend and NDTA dance.
As a dance teacher and working daily with children aged 18 months to adults the codes of practice certainly differ from each other. My findings have lead me to pinpoint each requirement and whom to aim at. 
Recently I have been working with children from 18 months to 3/4 years alongside a dance teacher who has set up her own classes and company "Dancing Days." I extremely enjoy working with her, however noticing that when I taught my first class the parents sat and watched, joined in and questioned me. I was taken aback by this but ensured that I was qualified and happy for the parents to sit in and watch. I now totally understand why the parents would do this.


Contacting my friend about her business and her providing me with the legal requirements she had to have in place before beginning her classes were:



  • Letting the parents watch the class
  • Ensuring they are happy for you to teach and accept your qualifications
  • Making sure the parents know the boundaries of interfering with teaching methods 
  • The equipment is suitable and the room is the safest it could be 
  • If video or taking photos of the children whilst dancing for the benefit of the website or other parents that consent is given in writing and signed
  • All parents have signed for you to teach the their children
There are many more but most of the legal requirements she added herself are mainly to do with the parents and having consent for the teacher to take the class. Consulting with my friend as the reasons for putting these forces into place were..." It covers her back for everything" No parent or carer can sue for any harm, unsuitable behaviour, bullying etc. The reasons were extremely acceptable and I believe that the codes should be personal to your own practice. 



Furthering my reading into another source of NEA (National Education Association) and their requirements for teaching children. These are codes of ethics that all work places should enforce when teaching students. 


www.nea.org/home/30442.htm 


The subjects that stood out were the 
" Shall not intentionally expose the student to embarrassment or disparagement" 
My reason for this: Why would one embarrass a student?"  As a teacher you pick out students to develop their knowledge on the subject but never want to make them feel embarrassed. If you feel they are struggling. Having never come across this situation I understand this not crossing my mind, however it questions me to think... Have I embarrassed a child before? Did they get upset? Asking about and concluding that the ability to use your voice is the key, using various tones and approaches is the best way. 


This task has been a eye opener for me within my personal teaching pratice. As many allegations occur towards teachers and students, this is the most serious matter within teaching with the 21st century. Never have I come across such behaviour, however now it gives me an understanding to why parents and carers are reluctant to take their children to classes where they are uncertain of who the teacher will be. 
My assumptions for teaching children were on the correct track. However, I have over looked many aspects of teaching and the suitable behaviour around children. Personally I feel it creates more work and cautiousness when working but if applied in the correct term the classes should not change and no difference will be seen.
In the future I feel if building and developing my own company, now having a fuller knowledge and insight to the Safety of teaching and the Codes of Ethics towards children and adults. The "blurry areas" have been cleared and researching more on this topic is defiantly something that interests me. The security on children is the highest it has been in years unlike in the past when canes and whips were used. In my opinion children nowadays would not response to this form of punishment and discipline and would rebel. No one should be punished for learning difficulties or slow developing in any form of subjects.
I do feel I am a safer practitioner and I can use this knowledge to my advantage with parents and carers. Specific rules and regulations will develop my company and business showing that I practice safe and ethically. 

2 comments:

  1. It seems as though you have looked into the relevant codes of practice in some detail and really heightened your understanding. I think I mentioned on someone else's blog too...it's great that you now feel more knowledgable about legal requirements, should you wish to start up your own company or school. This obligatory knowledge might therefore, give you more power to control your own career - I once looked into running drama workshops but was put off by the complexities of health and safety and insurance. But, if I learnt about those things, I am greatly widening my ability to create my own opportunities and control the ways I earn my money when not performing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie, it seems you really have found looking so deeply into the specific codes of practise has not only hightlighted potential 'grey area's, but has enabled you to practise in a way where you feel secure and confident in your approach to working ethically. I think as teachers we have to be constantly a wear of how to address and approach individuals appropriatly to make sure we are adhearing to ethical standards, saying one thing to one student may make them feel insecure and unhappy, yet may stimulate another. I found your point about acting in a way that 'Shall not intentionally expose the student to embarrassment or disparagement"
    interesting, of course we would hope we have developed a sense of empathy to which we respond and act appropriatly too. I suppose this ability to sense the tone of a class will only continue to improve the more experienced we become.

    ReplyDelete