Tuesday 5 April 2011

Developing my Professional Network





Networks are commonly used in my profession whether you are a dancer, a model, an actor or a singer. We all have the same foundations and then we categorise which type of artist we are. The main resources used are technology based however, there are some that are non-technology based. It depends on the most appropriate way to contact the person it is aimed at.


These are the resources I use to apply my professional networking:


Facebook
Twitter
Emails
Phone calls
Texts
Websites( Professional Profiles) Dancerspro/ Dance cast
Face to Face
Contacts
Mail
Agents- Log on


When using networks there are certain people who have established this and other who haven't. For example- If writing to my principle at my Ballet School, I would write her a handwritten letter and send via mail. However, if I was sending my Cv and Photos to an employer then this would be sent via email. Both are efficient but if the more experienced practitioner has not yet established technology (or I could be wrong) I find it out of respect to coincide with them how I think they would interact with other colleagues.


Generally I contact my friends with phone calls and texts but I am very reluctant to contact a producer or agent using this method. As many of the professionals feel they are being "hounded" by phone calls and prefer to email and contact you. Which is understandable, showing that you want the job is one thing but sounding desperate is another. The key is to be subtle.


In my line of work it is necessary to be part of a professional network or even a social network having employers as friends. Employers are always advertising auditions and casting on Facebook, Twitter and other web sites. Talking online is always easier than in person especially with someone you don't have a relationship with. Technology gives us that option to form a professional bond with someone and then hopefully gain some work. 
The current networks I am with are about building your profiles and having a CV, Showreel and photos on the site. This is so any employer can browse and chose the suitable artists for the job. Everyday things are always changing and the use of CV and photos sent via mail is out the window. The most efficient options are to use professional networks such as email. 

I think networking is a very important aspect in the entertainment industry. As I have blogged before, from my experience many of the dancers that are professional working constantly get work by mutual friends or contacts. This comes from experience in the industry as building contacts takes time. I try to keep in touch with all of my friends and contacts but it does become difficult with hectic lives. This is an aspect I need to work at, networking more contacts as mine are limited can only increased my chances of work in this industry. When networking you are also meeting new people, In Steph's blog she mentions about not wanting to have the attitude of "What can they do for me " which I agree with. Meeting new people should be for guidance and help, bearing in mind these people could have contacts elsewhere. Learning from more experienced people is a key feature as there are many things I do not know about this industry. I feel I am always learning and establishing my own network.

If forming my own network it would be both a social and professional one. I think when building relationship it is good to have the best of both. Always keeping professional at all times. I do agree that sometimes this becomes difficult, however I have learn't that having a friend relationship with someone makes you employable to everyone.
Facebook is simular to my idea but it is stated as a social network allowing different unprofessional items to be included.

Networking is the future. 



6 comments:

  1. Hi Sonal, I find in our profession there are correct ways to contact other professionals, agents especially, they even list their preferred way to be contacted in Actors Yearbook. This makes it easier for us to get our cvs and headshots through the door.

    You mention that your preferred network would be a combination of friends and professionals; I think this makes it difficult to progress, I do have friends but my close friends are separate from my work. I have actually worked with a very good friend of mine and we continual argued our points and achieved very little. Have you ever come across this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand where you are coming from with the constant arguments and achieving little, this does occur in many occasions i know. However, I haven't come across this and as I mentioned this is how people get work in London and teaching. I wouldn't suggest two friends being at the same level and choreographing together as I can imagine this would be a tense situation. But as for employer and employee it works knowing people, its a biased situation when hiring for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree you do get most work through friends and people you know, it is a very ‘clicky’ professional and I sometimes feel I have to watch what I say; this in turn makes me feel unreal.
    On the flip side I have worked with friends and because we know each other so well we have created some fantastic choreography, just bouncing off each other’s ideas. Friends have also employed me; I guess it depends on the situation. Having friends can only expand networks and this in turn gives you more opportunity to know about and get more work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to read the comments above, as I was just writing about this topic in my journal today. I was thinking about how I can sometimes find myself being uneasy, or even embarrassed, when the lines between my social and professional relationships are blurred. I have lots of friends that benefit and get work from developing close friendships with people like directors and producers....I suppose my concern is that I am always aware people may see me as false or think I am just sucking up to them. I could be happily chatting away to someone and the minute I find out they are a director, for example, I will get nervous around them. Something I need to work on for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting Blog Sonal, which network would you say that you currently use for a source of information is the most important to you? Tanisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sonal, i really like your blog, I agree that having a friend relationship is a great way to make you employable and gain allot more networks.

    ReplyDelete